If you want a laptop with the most versatility, a 2-in-1 that either bends back or detaches to switch into tablet mode is your best choice. We’ve listed our favorite 2-in-1s below and here are three quick things you need to keep in mind when shopping.
- Bendback or Detachable?: Bendback 2-in-1s, which have screens that flip back 360 degrees, work far better in laptop mode and usually have greater endurance, a better keyboard, and more ports. Detachable 2-in-1s, which have screens that pop off, provide a better best tablet experience.
- Screen Resolution: While some cheaper models will have 1366 x 768 resolutions, try to get at least a 1920 x 1080 display.
- Size: For the best balance between portability and usability, consider a 2-in-1 with a 12 or 13-inch display and a weight less than 3.5 pounds. Smaller laptops are great for kids while 15 and 17-inch models provide lots of real estate for drawing or media viewing.
News and Updates (January 2019)
- We reviewed the featherweight LG Gram 14 2-in-1 and then put it up against the HP Spectre Folio, one of our favorite convertible laptops.
- HP and Acer unveiled new 2-in-1 Chromebooks targeted at the K-12 education market.
- Lenovo gave us some hands-on time with the upcoming ThinkPad X1 Yoga, the first aluminum ThinkPad laptop.
- On display at CES 2019, Samsung’s new Notebook 9 Pro is a 13-inch 2-in-1 laptop with a unique Star Wars aesthetic.